MUSIC AND MOVEMENT PROGRAM
A consultant music teacher provides weekly tuition in music and drama at Highgate throughout the school terms. The consultant also acts as a support for educators who continue to implement music and movement/drama sessions daily, incorporating aspects from the weekly program.
Emergent curriculum arises naturally from adult/child interactions and situations that allow for ‘teachable moments. The curriculum is implemented from an idea or interest, which emerges from the group or an individual area of interest.
EARLY YEARS FRAMEWORK
At Highgate the framework is used to facilitate children’s learning through the following five outcomes:
- Children have a strong sense of identity
- Children are connected with and contribute to their world
- Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- Children are confident and involved learners
- Children are effective communicators.
These Learning Outcomes are used as a guide in curriculum decision making, planning, implementing and evaluating practices and programs.
Highgate ELC has a beautiful new outdoor play space especially for the 3 and 4 yr kinder children. The new kinder yard features:
- An outdoor role play kitchen
- A vegetable garden maintained by the children
- Water play areas
- Tiered seating for outdoor classes
- A sandpit
The new kinder yard was specifically designed to connect children with nature, but also to enhance learning and development and to encourage interaction, independent exploration and curiosity.